Frustration with the Genre Pt2

Last Monday prior to writing this blog I received a (very?) late rejection notice from an agent I had queried. It was for Dragonsbane of course. His suggestions and advice were the same as everyone else: the market isn't viable for this right now, find a focus group to hone your writing, etc etc.
That of course lead me to discussing it with Jess, and she immediately asked if I was going to get all mopey. When I replied maybe, man did I get it after that. Phew. Man, oh man.
But she did bring up something interesting to me about my workings. 
Now, you see, Jess has been wanting me to turn the mystery/thriller I wrote for a short story contest about a stalker student into a full novel. I promise, after some convincing, to put it in the docket for the future. 
This time, she told me directly that I should write that fully and option it out to publishers. No ifs, ands, or buts. Put everything aside and try a new genre.

Which... Makes sense.
After my last blog about being frustrated with my viewpoints on the stagnation of the fantasy genre, maybe it is time I try something new? An entirely different direction perhaps?

Comments

Popular Posts