New Year, New... Everything?


So it's 2018 finally. I know I'm late to the party. Don't rub it in.

Well, twelve days into 2018 and I've managed to not die ONCE. Yes, once. Well... I'm not sure that counts exactly because it happened on Christmas.
I was heading to my in-laws for Christmas brunch, hit a slick spot, and totaled my car. The Wrathful Red Rider - Quantum Flare is no more!
Yes. I name my cars. The 1991 Dodge Spirit my mom and I shared was Panzer, my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT was Kiryu, 2013 Hyundai Elantra was as above (too lazy to retype), and now I have a 2013 Buick Verano named The Haunting Orchestra - Twilight Scherzo. My wife says that's too long, but I like it. So it stays.
Anyway, new year, new car, and new opportunities.

My 2017 year in review as an author isn't really firework-worthy. I finished and sent out what I assumed was my killer magnum opus Dragonsbane. Nope. Not at all. I mean, yeah, I didn't try too many publishers and agents, but I tried enough to realize that I might be doing something wrong.
Then I started to have a crisis. I thought about it a lot and, after seeing Facebook ads galore, realized that maybe fantasy wasn't really my thing. Late in the year I would do more studying and realize that it's not that fantasy isn't my thing, it's that I wasn't really taking risks or writing anything new and exciting.
So I moved on and started writing what was a thriller and now moved onto a teen drama. Can't win all the genres, I suppose.
I did NaNoWriMo again, and completed it with my sanity intact. The product was a historical fantasy about Meiji era Japan. Neat stuff there. Hardly ready to even try to proof it.
My cat decided it was a good idea to rip keys out of my laptop keyboard. Now I get to use my bluetooth keyboard everywhere for everything.
I got married and went on my honeymoon. That was fun. Not doing a plane again IF I can help it. Like, I will take a train to the best of my ability. The wedding was a blast, got to see a lot of people I haven't seen in some time.

And that's all I've got for you. See? Not that interesting. It's funny to note that it is a little over a year since I sent Dragonsbane out. Lord knows I wouldn't remember that on my own, but thankfully Facebook memories are a thing.

Looking ahead, I'll end up sending my teen drama out to whatever success. Hoping for the best there. This year I finally graduate college and more than likely start my masters. And I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing here. But hey, no one is perfect.

Good night everybody!

Comments

Popular Posts