Music to Move My Soul


If you've kept up with my blog since the beginning (or go check out Goodreads), you've no doubt heard me ramble about a game called Legend of Mana. It's an old PS1 game that inspired me and captivated me due to the sheer number of stories involved in the game. While this was a turnoff for some, it was amazing for me as a child. That is one of the few games I've played over and over and over.
One thing that always captivated me was the music. It was catchy, well-written, and became a soundtrack for my childhood in a way, and even for my friends and I when we played the game.
About a year and a half ago I learned that the soundtrack was actually published in a full, two disk set. About two weeks ago, I got my hands on the rare collection. For reference: game came out in 1999, as did the CD. Amazon had 10 for sale, all used of course. No biggie.

Once I received it I couldn't help but listen to it everywhere I went in my car's CD player. Who couldn't resist the sounds of their childhood? The flutes and pianos, the trumpets, the searing guitars and techno beats. For reference, go on Youtube and look up "Legend of Mana Theme", "Bedight orbit", and whatever else pops up linked to the game. All sounds I loved to hear over and over again, much like playing the game itself.

But in listening I learned somethings about myself that I had forgotten, or never realized. I forgot that I had used to play the game to hide away when things weren't going so well. I was able to help people in the game when i wasn't able to in life. I was powerful there where I was powerless here. I'll always remember the turbulent time my grandmother passed away. It was, sadly, the time I learned the true colors of my extended family. People I'd not seen much growing up were suddenly displaying for me their wickedness and depravity over money, jewelry, and other things my grandmother left behind.

And in all of that I just wanted to get away from them to play Legend of Mana.

But there was something else that came to mind that I'd forgotten.

My reason for writing.

Another blog probably mentions how I became (more so) determined to write after listening to the Nightwish song Storytime.
In reality, my interest in writing, or storytelling I suppose, goes back even further than that to when I was a kid.
Because of Legend of Mana. I was so inspired to see all of these stories and how they played out that it brought me into the world of myth, the power of stories, and the wonders they brought people.

The Storyteller War was, at one point, to be more like Legend of Mana. A collection of stories that would come together at one point to resolve the story. I've gotten a little away from that as I stripped out several parts like Dragonsbane and more, but I want to return to it as it should be.

Comments

Popular Posts